The revelation that the Canadian military saw the pandemic as an ‘opportunity’ (funny how they use the same term as Justin Trudeau) to try out ‘propaganda techniques’ on Canadians demonstrates a few disturbing truths:
- First, to many people in the government, this is all some sort of sick game, where they can trick and manipulate people as if we are part of an experiment.
- Second, our own government is actively seeking to ratchet up the level of fear and tension in both overt ways and covert ways.
- Third, this all serves their goal of keeping the populace in a state of fear and panic, making continued government power-grabs possible.
To recap, here’s part of what David Pugliese reported on the military propaganda plan:
- “Canadian military leaders saw the pandemic as a unique opportunity to test out propaganda techniques on an unsuspecting public, a newly released Canadian Forces report concludes.”
The federal government never asked for the so-called information operations campaign, nor did cabinet authorize the initiative developed during the COVID-19 pandemic by the Canadian Joint Operations Command, then headed by Lt.-Gen. Mike Rouleau.
But military commanders believed they didn’t need to get approval from higher authorities to develop and proceed with their plan, retired Maj.-Gen. Daniel Gosselin, who was brought in to investigate the scheme, concluded in his report.
The propaganda plan was developed and put in place in April 2020 even though the Canadian Forces had already acknowledged that “information operations and targeting policies and doctrines are aimed at adversaries and have a limited application in a domestic concept.”
That’s quite disturbing wording:
“Aimed at adversaries”.
It gets worse:
- “The plan devised by the Canadian Joint Operations Command, also known as CJOC, relied on propaganda techniques similar to those employed during the Afghanistan war. The campaign called for 'shaping' and 'exploiting' information. CJOC claimed the information operations scheme was needed to head off civil disobedience by Canadians during the coronavirus pandemic and to bolster government messages about the pandemic.”
The military in effect was treating Canadian Citizens as an enemy population to be ‘shaped,’ using information that they’ve exploited in an effort to manipulate.
And note how – despite the government claiming they didn’t ‘ask’ for this – how the military propaganda techniques line up perfectly with the interests of the federal government:
- “…head off civil disobedience by Canadians during the coronavirus pandemic and to bolster government messages about the pandemic.”
That sounds exactly like what it is:
The Canadian military – an arm of the federal government – used propaganda techniques meant for use against our enemies against Canadians in an effort to make us fearful and compliant with government dictates.
How many other covert propaganda campaigns are ongoing right now?
Now, we must ask ourselves this:
- Do we really think this was the only covert propaganda effort used against Canadians in the past two years?
Do we really believe the federal government didn’t ask for it? Is this really just a one-off?
I think we can be sure of the answer there.
Most likely, at this very moment, there are other multiple covert influence operations being run to keep Canadians angry, scared, and divided.
The propaganda worked
The unfortunate realization in all of this is that the government propaganda has worked on millions of Canadians.
As Alex Brown said on Twitter, the psy-op worked:
- “The psy-op worked. It worked so well, in fact, that the damage may be permanent for millions of Canadians.
We’ve all experienced this in our own lives, dealing with people who – beyond the legitimate concern and management of risk – have become vitriolic in their anger, fear, and even hate towards anyone who refuses to instantly bow down to government dictates.
You can see it in those who simply repeat whatever a government ‘authority’ tells them, rather than thinking for themselves.
Those who first said it was ‘racist’ to call for shutting down flights from China, those who called border controls ‘xenophobic,’ those who were happy to repeat the claims from Tam and Hajdu that the virus was ‘low-risk,’ and have now switched to demanding severe punishment for anyone who opposes draconian lockdowns.
That’s what being in a state of fear does to many people.
While some respond to this fear by emphasizing the importance of staying rational and thinking for themselves, it seems many Canadians have responded by abandoning their own sense of individuality and submitting themselves to any ‘reassuring’ authority figure who has the right title or position.
This is what the government wants, and this is why they are using military-grade propaganda against Canadian Citizens.
How government assault on free speech is linked to propaganda
If we are using military analogies, then what the government wants is total dominance over the information battlespace.
They want their ‘enemies’ (people like you and me who see through their lies) to be silenced, so that they have a clear field to push their propaganda on the population.
Thus, as the government uses propaganda techniques against Canadian citizens, they are seeking to impose bills like C-10 & C-36 that will be used to further restrict free expression online.
Obviously, this is no coincidence.
In a world where technology has enabled the potential flourishing of information freedom and financial freedom (bitcoin, cryptocurrencies), we see a ruthless attempt by politicians to crackdown on those freedoms and deepen government dominance.
They fear losing their power, and they fear an empowered and free populace.
And most of all, they fear a population that isn’t afraid of them.
Government is supposed to be afraid of the people, not the other way around.
Government gets all their power from the people, and all their money is taken from the people.
That’s why, in a truly free country, government is supposed to be small and limited, and focus above all on defending individual freedoms.
In Canada, and in much of the supposedly ‘free world,’ this has become inverted, with the people afraid of the government and adopting a scared and submissive posture towards authority.
That’s why we must strive to become what government fears most:
Empowered, free-thinking citizens who refuse to let fear compromise our values.